For this task, I am to create different surface sample using a range of materials to see what works for my final 3D model and what doesn't work. The only way to find this out is to trial and error different combinations till I get it right.
Pencil Mark Making
This is a technique called cross-hatching. I created it by making lines in one direction and doing parallel line on another direction. It is a useful technique to use when wanting to define tone in different areas. I could perhaps use this in the mine when creating the final model.
Shading
This image is the technique of shading. This is useful is you want to show a tonal difference in your art piece. With the HB pencil, you can go from darker to light pretty easy however if you want a darker shade you would use the 6B pencil.
Pen Mark Making
This is the last of the mark making techniques. For this technique, I used a pen. Once again, I completed 3 different techniques, Cross-Hatching, Stippling and random drawings with a water wash over the top.
Cross-Hatching:
Using a pen to cross-hatch proved to be messier than the previous drawing techniques. The tonal difference using the pen was harder to get the lighter tone. This method isn't the best when using a pen in my opinion.
Stippling:
Random Lines with a Water Wash:
This technique contained of me drawing random line across a section of my page. After doing this, I got a pot of water to then brush a little bit of water over the top to get a interesting blend. If I was to do this again I would have used less water to achieve a better effect.
Masking Tape
I created this texture using masking tape and watercolour. I laid a few strips of masking tape alongside each other making sure to overlap to add more emphasis. I could use this texture for the wooden beams inside the mine.
I attempted to used both watercolour and acrylic paint over top of the masking tape to see the difference and I found that the acrylic paint was way too thick for what I needed. The watercolour provided me the surface I wanted.
I wanted to create a smooth stone surface. So I laid some masking tape and painted it with a very thin coating of acrylic paint. I think that it would look better if I applied a little more acrylic paint and if I placed the masking tape down neater.
Wax Resist
I attempted to make a sandy texture using wax. I placed wax on the paper where I didn't want the paint to be so it would have a different look instead of being a block of orange.

Now I have a black painted background with white wax to represent other planets/stars. I used watercolour for the black to signify space.
This is the same surface as above however I added tints of blue to add a greater and more pleasing effect to the eye because it looks more like a sky instead of being a solid black rectangle.
Sponge
I used a sponge and acrylic paint to create this surface. I used a mixture of black, grey and white on the sponge. I dabbed it around the paper to create this space like sky.
For this effect, I used red and blue acrylic paint as well as a sponge. I applied a little bit of paint and I started to dot it on my paper. When these colour meets the colour changes into a very dark brown.
Newspaper
For this surface, I used piece of newspaper and stuck it down onto my paper. Then I applied acrylic paint over the top of it. This technique is not very useful to me and the way I want my final model to look because I think this is a worse version of the masking tape method.
Tissue Paper
This surface was created by gluing crinkled tissue paper onto my paper and then putting watercolour over the top of it. This could be used as the sand of the planet or the walls in the mine. More examples are below;
Bubble Wrap
I created this surface by using acrylic paint and painted it onto my paper. After that I got a piece of bubble wrap and painted it with a different colour (Brown) and press down to transfer it onto my paper. This is useful if you wanted to simulate footsteps in sand however it isn't what I need/want.
Chalk
I placed chalk onto my paper for this surface and I put a wash over top of the chalk to create this smooth surface.
For the next texture I used chalk. I used red and yellow chalk and I blended the two to create orange. This wasn't the correct colour combination that I required and I recreated it below.
I created this surface by using chalk. I used two different colours to achieve this blend, one orange the other red. One disadvantage to this sample is that I applied the chalk way too thick than what was required and if I were to do it again I would apply less onto the paper.













